Saturday, April 3, 2010

The beauty of the lilies


Last night, I sat and drank in the sweetness of our love for Jesus. At the children's service, I was fed by the honest curiosity of the children's questions about Jesus and their wide-eyed silence as I blessed their hands. At the later service, the haunting a capella anthems, the rough-voiced eloquence of our preacher's faith, and the understated devotion of a small band of disciples in prayer all brought God close enough to touch. I said with Jesus, "It is finished." It was truly a good Friday.

Through it all, the smell of the Easter lilies filled the church. Even as we said farewell, I could feel Jesus coming. A new day, a new life starts now.

In "April" from his book "A Child's Calendar," John Updike writes:

All things renew.
All things begin.
At church, they bring
the lilies in.

No comments:

Post a Comment